These policies are intended to guide El Tiempo Latino journalism as we provide news and information in an evolving media landscape. We consider these guidelines to be a “work in progress” that will constantly evolve and adapt based on feedback from our journalists, from our audience and from our editorial board. Each story is different and there are particularities that apply to each case, therefore these guidelines should not be understood as establishing hard and fast rules or as an umbrella solution for all situations that might arise.
El Tiempo Latino’s duty is to report news fairly using journalism’s best practices while always being 100% transparent.
Our audience’s trust is our biggest asset and our team follows our Code of Ethics that includes:
Conduct code for our Editorial Team and Editorial Integrity:
- El Tiempo Latino will always discern the truth, verify its accuracy
- El Tiempo Latino will always write in an objective manner without conflicts of interest.
- Reporters will clearly state to sources who we are and what is the purpose of contacting them
- Professionalism when dealing with sources is the core of our daily editorial work
- As such, our reporters will clarify which parts of a conversation are on-the-record and off-the-record.
- Sources will be contacted to get their viewpoint before publication
- Although we aim to get 100% of our information right the first time, mistakes could happen. We will be transparent about mistakes and honor our corrections policy.
- El Tiempo Latino will always provide attribution to others if they are the source of the information
- El Tiempo Latino will never falsify any part of our news
- Editorial content and non-editorial segments are clearly separated. El Tiempo Latino Editorial Department takes decisions independent from our sponsored content team, sales, marketing, sponsors or investors.
- El Tiempo Latino clearly differentiate non-journalistic pieces
- El Tiempo Latino journalists will disclose to their managers any real or perceived conflict of interest.
- El Tiempo Latino editorial team acts following our core mission: Diversity and Knowledge for Progress.
2- Verification and Fact-Checking Standards
Reporting, writing and fact-checking their stories are primary responsibilities of El Tiempo Latino reporters. El Tiempo Latino has in place a system that includes multilevel reviews by one or more editors. Sensitivity and complexity of a story and time/deadline pressure will determine how many editors will review it and the depth of their involvement.
3- Our Corrections Policy
While El Tiempo Latino always strives for excellence and accuracy, it is a fact that we will occasionally make errors. We are promptly responsive in correcting errors in material published on digital platforms and in print. Errors will be corrected maintain a high level of transparency so readers will know what was wrong and what is correct.
When a reader spot an error, they should submit a request for correction contacting: email@example.com. A correction is not officially submitted until the reader submits their request via e-mail.
Print corrections will be published under a “Fe de Erratas” box in the next edition after the correction was requested. Online articles will be corrected and an editor’s note will be added to the bottom of the article noting what was incorrect and when the article was changed.
4- Our Editorial Team
El Tiempo Latino reporters and editors are committed to fairness and they know that no story is fair if: It omits facts of major importance or significance, includes irrelevant facts, consciously or unconsciously misleads the reader, and if sources are not given the opportunity to address assertions or claims about them made by others.
Our team is diverse and inclusive, bringing diverse voices and keeping an open mind when working on stories.
Our structure includes a VP of Content supervising the editorial strategy of El Tiempo Latino and our Boston paper El Planeta, local editors and senior reporters, staff reporters, freelance journalists and a digital news desk. Many important and sensitive editorial decisions are taken by an editorial board that includes all the members of the editorial team.